With the upsurge of modern technology and internet these days, EBay shopping is a common feature across the globe.
With the buyers located at one end of the world and the seller located miles away, these sorts of deals have indeed exploded the consumer markets far beyond our imagination. Also entering in this business would help you make direct links with the buyers with in your country or state.
Remember, being a seller on EBay requires you to pay several taxes in varied forms. Such enquiries you must make through the local and state tax authorities to avoid all confusions in the future. Lack of knowledge in this regard may also lead you to some major legal hassles.
Here are some key points that would help you understand the taxation system pertaining to EBay sales:
1. When the EBay sales are made to the buyers within your state you usually do not need to pay any taxes.
2. When the sales made to a different state you would need to pay the taxes on the EBay sales might be as per their that is the buyers’ country or state laws.
3. As a seller you need to be equipped with the right knowledge on what taxes must be transferred to the buyer. Anyhow, in the case mentioned above it is ultimately your duty to submit this tax to your country’s or state’s taxation authorities.
4. Check with your accountant in detail about the states that do not exempt the taxes on sales to the other states.
5. Usually this concept is known as – use tax. It refers to the tax on merchandise purchased in one state but used in another.
6. This tax is not levied in all the states, you must know the states that levy this type of tax.
7. Invest good amount of time in knowing and understanding the taxation system and all other financial prospects before opening an EBay store.
8. A little ignorance in this regard would lead to severe penalties and interests.
9. Also once the deal is made you can’t get back to the buyer saying that you forgot to levy the tax in the cost. It is your responsibility to bill the entire price at one o.
10. Thus, it becomes very important to understand the entire taxation system much before starting the deal for any product in any state.
11. For instance, in case you have one store but several shipping points, you would need to pay the taxes on the sales that leave the other shipping points as well.
12. Remember, taxes are unavoidable. Even if you forget to charge them from your buyer, you would land up paying them from your pocket.